1. So Tobias, what's your role at Mediacurrent, both internally and client-related?
My job title is Theming Specialist, but more than that I am a front-end solutions person. I work on turning designs into code, and using Drupal and no-Drupal front-end techniques to create our beautiful sites. I am also here to provide guidance to clients who are trying to get the most out of their site user experience and help them find the solutions to their visual requirements.
2. We're so glad to have you! Give us an idea of what professional path brought you here.
I moved to the states in 2005 and began working at a newspaper. It was incredibly exciting, with all sorts of things going into the making of a daily product. I had several jobs and became more interested in the internet side of the paper. I took classes in digital production and began working as support for the website. I have worked on almost every part of that site, from design to development. I finished my career there as a developer before moving to MC.
3. How did you first get involved with Drupal?
The newspaper site was Drupal 5 and 6, I started working on it, and I was excited by the platform. I started attending camps and building sites. Before I knew it I was one of those guys who has a Drupal t-shirt for every day of the week.
4. Is there a go-to Drupal module that you like to incorporate whenever possible?
Lately I have been loving devel generate to make massive amounts of content. Devel is a super useful tool, and I am always excited to see it installed on projects.
5. Do you have any recommended reading or books that you would suggest to others?
6. Any mobile apps that you use regularly?
Sassmeister has a decent website that is usable on the phone. When I found this out, I think I lost a couple of hours of sleep each night. Also, the Slack app for keeping up with work is awesome.
7. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We just bought a house, so right now it is house stuff, learning about wiring things, and fixing roofs is super interesting to me. My wife brews beer, so I get to lift things for that and drink the beer. I also like to play board games. I own a shameful amount.
8. What do you like about Mediacurrent?
The people. We all say that, but the people are awesome, patient and smart. Also, the variety of projects, and the annual beard contest (2013 champion).