1. So Mark, What's your role at Mediacurrent, both internally and client-related?
I am a Drupal backend developer.
2. We're so glad to have you! Give us an idea of what professional path brought you here.
I have been in development for almost 20 years. I started at AOL for most of that working on moving content from their proprietary delivery system to the open web.
3. How did you first get involved with Drupal?
After AOL, I was working on dreamincode.net and they wanted me to move the site from their old system to an open CMS. I picked Drupal, and they sent me to Do It with Drupal in 2009. I learned a ton of great stuff but more importantly found out how awesome this community is.
4. Is there a go-to Drupal module that you like to incorporate whenever possible?
Smart Trim! (he says in a smug self-serving way). But seriously, Views, Admin Menu, and Module Filter are the first three modules I install in a new project. Learning to like Panels. But really seriously, smart_trim is awesome.
5. Do you have any recommended reading or books that you would suggest to others?
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig. Oh you meant tech books? The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas is a good read. I just read Test Driven Development by Kent Beck and that had a lot of good insight as well.
6. Any mobile apps that you use regularly?
Yahoo Fantasy Football, Flipboard, Uber, Things and most importantly, the Starbucks App.
7. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I do a variety of physical activities like playing ice hockey, snowboarding, tennis, crossfit and kenpo. I also enjoy enough craft beer to assure that I don’t look anything like a guy who does a variety of physical activities.
8. What do you like about Mediacurrent?
First off, the people here have been great. Second, the work has been incredible.