1. So Dawn, what's your role at Mediacurrent, both internally and client-related?
I am Mediacurrent’s first and only Senior Digital Strategist. I get to help our clients during their entire journey at Mediacurrent by doing the upfront strategy as well as on going support month to month.
2. We're so glad to have you! Give us an idea of what professional path brought you here.
My time at Mediacurrent has been pretty unique. I was hired as a Senior Project Manager and was consulting with my clients about digital strategy because I was passionate about it. I’m very thankful that my entire day is filled with Digital Strategy now.
Before Mediacurrent, I directed satellite broadcasts, taught undergraduate and graduate courses in digital media and transmedia storytelling, and was a brand manager at an agency in Orlando.
3. How did you first get involved with Drupal?
I started working with Drupal in 2010. I fell in love with the web because of its power to create interactive stories. When the branding agency I worked with started reviewing various content management systems, it was very clear Drupal was the best CMS for creating interactive content. Since joining Mediacurrent, I’ve been happy to see how much the platform has grown and impressed by how fast our developers can make ideas a reality.
4. Is there a go-to Drupal module that you like to incorporate whenever possible?
I lean on our developers for their expertise in this arena, but a few of the ones that are super handy for SEO are:
- Global Redirect
- Google Analytics
- Path Redirect
- XML Sitemap
Any of the marketing automation modules we maintain are super helpful too:
5. Do you have any recommended reading or books that you would suggest to others?
Why, yes, yes I do!
- Start with Why
- The Lean Startup
- Nail it then Scale it
- Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
- A Creator's Guide to Transmedia Storytelling: How to Captivate and Engage Audiences Across Multiple Platforms
6. Any mobile apps that you use regularly?
Confession: I’m addicted to downloading apps on my iPhone. I upgraded my device just so I could have more room for my apps. Besides the usuals, here are some that you might not know about:
- Couch-to-5K: I’m starting to get back into running after an old knee injury flared up. I like using the zombie voice.
- Wi-Fi Finder: Tells me all of the places with free or paid wifi near me.
- The Walking Dead Game 1&2: Truly a beautiful story and game.
- Days: It’s kind of like a photo diary of your day and is a lot less crowded than Facebook, Instagram, or Path.
7. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Lately? Moving. In the past year I’ve moved from Florida to New Jersey to New York and now Maryland.
8. What do you like about Mediacurrent?
Hands down: Mediacurrent has the best people to work with. Everyone is not only incredibly knowledgeable, but they’re friendly and genuinely nice.