1. So Bob, what's your role at Mediacurrent, both internally and client-related?
I'm a Senior Drupal developer, which means I translate our clients needs into working Drupal application. This includes doing my best to explain the “what” and “why” behind what we are doing, in English.
2. We're so glad to have you! Give us an idea of what professional path brought you here.
I began my web development career working at a community college in a small, grant-funded office. In this position, I learned everything from systems administration to Drupal theming and development. Previous to my current position, I worked in education at Fresno Pacific University in Fresno, California as a Web Architect. A few years ago I started a weekly email newsletter called TheWeeklyDrop in which I attempt to summarize what is going on in the Drupal community every week. This has been one of the most rewarding things I have done professionally. I came to Mediacurrent because I wanted to work with people that were as passionate about Drupal as I am.
3. How did you first get involved with Drupal?
I was building Coldfusion applications at the time, and I needed to build a feature-rich website very quickly when I discovered Drupal 5. I was able to build a proof of concept over a weekend, and I've been hooked ever since.
4. Is there a go-to Drupal module that you like to incorporate whenever possible?
Lately it's been Panelizer, but it really depends on the project.
5. Do you have any recommended reading or books that you would suggest to others?
I highly recommend Getting things Done by David Allen. Reading it literally changed my life by helping me get everything into a system I trust. This relieved quite a bit of stress in my life.
6. Any mobile apps that you use regularly?
I use the phone app a lot :). Others include Mailbox, Due, Mynd, Calendars 5, Drafts, 1Password, Chrome, and BeamApp.
7. What do you like to do in your spare time?
What is spare time? I work a lot in my "spare time" on things related to TheWeeklyDrop, but I do really try to make a point to get away from my screen and hang out with the family. I love the outdoors, and even mowing the grass or working in our garden can recharge me when I've spent too much time inside at my computer.
8. What do you like about Mediacurrent?
The people. The people here are both smart and nice. I've learning so much in my time here. This and the ability to work remotely were the key things that brought me to Mediacurrent.