At Mediacurrent we stand by the principles of Drupal and open source software, where contributing is in our blood.
Whether we are contributing code or giving back to worthy charitable causes, it's part of who we are. That's why it came as no surprise when our team decided to set a goal for themselves and create a reward centered around contributing to the community. The Mediacurrent team hit our 2017 goals in terms of revenue and billable hours and was able to donate $11,500 to some of our favorite charities.
We started tallying our specific goals from October 2017-December 2017 and decided that if we reached a certain number of revenue and billable hours, we would take a percentage of the total and donate it to charity. Let's just say that incentive resonated well with the contrib-minded Drupalers at Mediacurrent. Because of all the hard work, our team surpassed these goals by hitting 104% of the goal in October, 114% in November and 117% in December!
With the reward of $11,500 now set aside, we didn’t just want to give back, we wanted to give back to organizations that our employees cared about. We wanted our team to have a sense of ownership and pride in the company and thought this was a great way to encourage that. Team members sent in suggestions for their favorite charities -- some that even directly impacted our team members. After a team vote, the charities decided on were St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital, Men Stopping Violence, Direct Relief, BASE Camp Children’s Cancer Foundation, Doctors Without Borders, The Ronald McDonald House, Lifewater International, Women in Tech, and Caring Bridge.
Mediacurrent's Atlanta Team Celebrates our Donation
Our 2017 donations went to some awesome causes and this is why we chose them:
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital- The mission of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is to find cures for children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Our donations will go toward finding cures and saving children so that the suffering families never receive a bill.
- Men Stopping Violence- Men Stopping Violence organizes men to end male violence against women and girls through innovative trainings, programs and advocacy. They work to create change and promote safety and justice for women and children. The charity is local to Mediacurrent Headquarters in Decatur, GA.
- Direct Relief- The mission of Direct Relief is to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty and emergencies. They provide appropriate and specifically requested medical resources to community-based institutions and organizations in more than 70 countries, including the United States.
- BASE Camp Children’s Cancer Foundation- BASE Camp provides a year-round series of programs for children, parents, and families facing the challenge of living with cancer, to help them through and along the journey. One of our team members requested nominating BASE Camp Children's Cancer Foundation because someone they knew personally benefited from their work after their son was diagnosed with neuroblastoma at only 15 months old in 2012. The Mediacurrent team member said that they continued to be amazed by what the organization can do for pediatric cancer patients and their families.
- Doctors Without Borders- Doctors with Borders is an international medical humanitarian organization that provides aid in nearly 60 countries to people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe, primarily due to armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition, exclusion from health care, or natural disasters. They help people worldwide where the need is greatest, delivering emergency medical aid to people affected by hardship. One of our Mediacurrent team members personally knows a doctor who volunteers for this organization and couldn't say enough good about the organization.
- The Ronald McDonald House-The mission of The Ronald McDonald House charities is to provide a place for families to call home so they can stay close by their hospitalized child at little to no cost. They provide families with sick children with the care and resources they need in a home environment. Multiple people on the Mediacurrent team have volunteered at Ronald McDonald houses in the past and have seen first-hand the impact this organization makes.
- Lifewater International- The mission statement for Lifewater International is "Bringing clean water to a thirsty world." Lifewater International is a non-profit, water development organization dedicated to effectively serving vulnerable children and families by partnering with underserved communities to overcome water poverty.
- Women in Tech- The Women In Tech organization serves to advocate for women of all ages in Georgia’s science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM) community. They strive to do this by telling the stories of successful women and by helping more women write their own success story. This takes place in a wide variety of formats—from educating middle and high school girls about the opportunities in STEM, to providing networking and education for professionals.
- Caring Bridge- The mission of CaringBridge is to amplify the love, hope, and compassion in the world, making each health journey easier. Caring Bridge helps families create websites to serve as a personal health journal, rallying friends and family during any type of health journey. The systems help so that you don't need to repeat the story over and over, you are simply able to connect with family and friends at once, giving you time to focus on what matters.
We are so proud of our team for the hard work and dedication put into achieving these goals! It is inspiring to work with people who put so much value in giving back and who work so hard to exceed their goals. Giving back feel so good! If this inspired you to give, please tweet us and tell us about your donations @Mediacurrent!
Diversity At Mediacurrent: A Path Forward | Mediacurrent Blog
The Power of Giving | Mediacurrent Blog