Each month, we spotlight one of our amazing team members who work hard to bring you great results. Today, we interviewed Madeline Jensen from our development team. Let's get started!
1. What’s your role at Mediacurrent, both internally and client-related?
As a Senior Developer at Mediacurrent - I believe internally my role is to help our team grow. I spend about half of my time on development work and the rest of the time gathering technical details, reviewing code with our team, or being involved in mentorship programs.
When it comes to my role with our clients - I believe I am here to help them navigate their open source projects. I hope to use the experiences I’ve had over the years to help them solve their technical challenges.
2. Give us an idea of what professional path brought you here.
I started off in management in the restaurant & service industry world while in college working on my Bachelor’s in Information Technology.
Later in college, I was able to enter into the web world with an eCommerce company and helped with their content and SEO efforts while I sharpened my development skills. After that, I started in a development position at a school district where I worked for a few years and learned a lot about web development & leadership. Once I gained enough experience I was ready for somewhere awesome like Mediacurrent.
3. How did you first get involved with Drupal?
When I started with the school district, one of my first tasks was to evaluate a new content management system for the public facing website of the district. The team & I came up with a needs matrix and explored a lot of CMSs - Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, Sitecore, Solodev and honestly others I can’t even remember. It was after doing a lot of research that Drupal felt like the best fit, and once we selected that for our team I decided I wanted to pursue Drupal for my career moving forward.
4. Is there a go-to Drupal module that you like to incorporate whenever possible?
Twig VarDumper - Yeah I know it’s not too exciting, but it helps me with integrating components from the front-end to the back-end on Drupal. I know there are a lot of other tools to dig into the content on Drupal, but this has worked well for me. It just doesn’t freeze up like Kint does.
5. Do you have any recommended reading or books that you would suggest to others?
- ‘Tales of the Otori’ by Lian Hearn. These books are by far my favorite. They are beautifully written and help you escape to another world.
- Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh that can help you understand your own peace & strengthen your interpersonal skills.
- Getting Things Done by David Allen.
- The One Thing - Gary W. Keller and Jay Papasan.
6. Any mobile apps that you use regularly?
- Spotify - I consider it a utility like water or electricity at this point.
- Autodesk Sketchbook for drawing things.
7. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love painting & drawing. My favorite is to use gouache paints. When I don’t have time to set that up - I use my Samsung Note tablet with Sketchbook to draw something just about everyday. Outside of drawing, I love reading. I usually have one book & one drawing going every few weeks.
I also should bring up how much we love video games as a family. We have a game room with 2 TVs, 2 Playstations, and 2 Switches - and have logged hundreds and hundreds of hours to Monster Hunter.
8. What do you like about Mediacurrent?
I like how many opportunities there are to grow professionally and personally, and how many people there are to help you get where you want to be.