Each month, we spotlight one of our amazing team members who work hard to bring you great results. Today, we interviewed Bill Shaouy from our sales team. Let's get started!
1. What’s your role at Mediacurrent, both internally and client-related?
I’m a Senior Business Analyst. Internally I help our company improve its business processes and write proposals. For clients, I elicit, gather, and analyze their requirements for projects.
2. Give us an idea of what professional path brought you here.
I’ve been active with Drupal since 2007 as a developer and IT architect. My experiences as an architect coincided with Mediacurrent’s client’s needs for business analysis, so this was a natural transition.
3. How did you first get involved with Drupal?
In 2007 I was assigned as the IT architect for a Drupal 5 (!) project for a high-profile media client. The client was on a tight budget and needed the cost savings of an open-source content management solution with the power, flexibility, and maturity of the major proprietary CMSs of that time. Drupal was easily the best fit.
4. Is there a go-to Drupal module that you like to incorporate whenever possible?
I haven’t been a Drupal developer in a few years now, but when I was developing and needing a module outside of the major contributed modules, I found myself using the Rules module a good deal because I could accomplish a lot with it without having to write and maintain custom code.
5. Do you have any recommended reading or books that you would suggest to others?
Galapagos, by Kurt Vonnegut -- I’ve read several of his more famous books, but in this more obscure one he’s at the height of his powers as a detached, comic observer of natural selection run amok.
Sophie’s World, by Jostein Gaarder -- A fictional novel, but also a sneakily-educational whirlwind tour of the world of philosophy, with a mind-blowing plot twist for the ages.
Dune, by Frank Herbert -- It can be read as a science fiction story, or even as a Shakespearean-style conflict between royal families. But to me, it will always be the definitive paean to environmentalism.
6. Any mobile apps that you use regularly?
- MyFitnessPal -- maybe the most useful app I’ve ever had. Tracks macronutrients, exercise, and more.
- Evernote -- An absolutely indispensable note-taking app.
- Waze -- I have a love/hate relationship with Waze. It does a fantastic job getting me places efficiently, except for the first and last 100 yards. :)
7. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I’m a musician who writes and records songs. I also do a lot of piano accompaniment for other musicians.
8. What do you like about Mediacurrent?
The people. Beyond the talent, intellect, and creativity of Mediacurrent’s personnel, this is a culture of selflessness and teamwork, Never in my decades in the workforce have I encountered an organization whose whole so exceeds the sum of its parts.